A central part of the Bottineau County (North Dakota) EDC’s economic development efforts is to bring more visitors to the area with the long-term goal of inviting people and entrepreneurs into the community to live and work there permanently. A key objective of the strategy is to emphasize the region’s rich endowment of natural and recreational amenities and attractions as a compelling destination for outdoor adventure in all seasons, which is aligned with the area’s historical reputation as a Four Seasons Playground.
Key elements of the strategy include:
1) A wayfinding signage program to help enhance visitors’ experience as it builds familiarity and encourages them to discover the full mix of available attractions;
2) adding more attractions and amenities that not only diversify and improve the tourism economy, but can also help to attract and retain young, skilled workers by improving quality of life;
3) Collaborate with other tourism promotion organizations (such as the International Peace Garden, Turtle Mountain Tourism Association, Lake Metigoshe State Park) to market the region as a destination. And specifically, work with the Turtle Mountain Trail Association to attract bikers to the region’s more than 75 miles of trails;
4) Investigate the establishment of a countywide (or multi-county Turtle Mountain area) Tourism Business Improvement District to fund destination marketing efforts.
5) Influence business location decisions by drawing attention to opportunities in the local market, starting with a company that provides marketing, creative and communications services.